Saturday, April 12, 2014

Guitar School Adventures Episode 5: Super Smash Luthiers Melee.

Starting to get a little stir crazy. Ive been trying to read the Golden Compass and Ive gotten pretty good at minesweeper and spider solitaire. Thats just down time. Week 5 at school started with finish sanding the necks and bodies, leveled out fretboards and installed our fretwire. It was pretty slow, a bunch of waiting around to get people caught up. I made a new saddle for my Aria acoustic (which I found out is actually a 1973, not a 63 as I previously thought) Friday was our instructor Dave's birthday so we had cake and pizza. We were going to try getting into the spray room this week but the filter fan broke which set us back. Hopefully we will be all sprayed up next week. While our acoustics were in the spray room waiting to get coated we were reunited with out electric bodies and necks. Mistakes were made but nothing I could have prevented at my current skill level. I sprayed my lacquer too thick which resulted in some cracks. This is because the top surface dried before the under layers. The escaping moisture on the bottom layer forced the top to open up and split so it could push out. We wet sanded the bodies and necks which made me feel a little better because the lacquer may be thick but it was consistent. I have one continuous crack on my neck that starts from the tuning machine hole and travels aaaallll the way down the side and onto the heel of the neck. I laughed when I saw it. I guess that was a better reaction than pure rage. Removing the tape from the fretboard was a bit of a pain. I chipped out some of the lacquer because I wasnt paying attention the the way I was filing the sides. I guess we can spot fill it but it was still terrifying. I keep forgetting that these are all visual details. My housemate got tired of having no entertainment at the house so he bought a gamecube and super smash bros. I forget how angry that game makes me. I am much better than I was though, which is fun but I cant get too sucked in. I have more important things to worry about than jigglypuff's refusal to do as I command with my master controller. She'll learn eventually. -G

No comments:

Post a Comment